- Monday, August 25, 2014

Labor Day Traditions

“Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.” - United State Department of Labor

When I think of Labor Day, I think of relaxing and barbequing with family and friends. I am lucky enough to be a part of a grand tradition started by a dear friend. She opens up her home and yard in Lake Tahoe to her friends and family. We call it “The Great American Camp Out” and we all converge on her home for the three day weekend. Some of us stay in tents in the yard, while others stay in the house. Either way it is great fun and something to look forward to as summer comes to a close. Do you have a favorite Labor Day Tradition? Big or small, please share. We would love to hear it.

                                                            Sand Harbor - Lake Tahoe

For me Labor Day is the celebration of the end of summer. As a child it was a sad holiday, because it meant summer was ending and it was time to go back to school for the year. As an adult it is a different feeling, I think of Labor Day as a last hurrah of summer. Of course getting the wonderful opportunity to spend the holiday in Tahoe every year really helps.
I have decided to write this blog about Labor Day traditions in hopes of getting some dialogue about traditions that other people may have.
This year, I am going to make an effort to keep the weekend as unplugged as possible. I do use my phone for taking pictures, which makes unplugging more complicated. My goal is to try to make unplugging part of my Labor Day tradition. - Gilly Hegenbart 

No comments:

Post a Comment